News News News

50s UK Regionals - Manchester June 2016

By walesdragons, Jun 11 2016 07:49PM


Wales 3 UKAF 0. (Walters 2, Rhys Jones 1).

Wales 1 Midlands 3. (Rhys Jones 1)

Wales 1 North A 1. (Redfern 1)

Wales 2 North B 2 (Dinnie 1, Herbert 1)

Wales 2 West 3 (Walters 1 Rhys Jones 1)

Held at Bowdon HC, Manchester the Divisional tournament was a very hot affair with the sunshine the greatest enemy with so much hockey over two short days. Wales 50s continue the building process and the games were all very close affairs. Dominant in the first game against UKAF, Wales were quick and scored good open play goals through Walters and Rhys Jones with a defence that was shepherded by `Buzz` Burroughs hardly troubled.

An hour later though the dominant Wales team were barely recognisable and capitulated trying to play a quick break game but giving away possession far too cheaply and allowing the Midlands to exploit the Wales high press and take 3 goals.

In the 3rd game of the day Wales were again free flowing and showed great movement through the central players of Crabbe and Redfern with Dinnie causing problems down the right side of the attacking half. oA good goal from Redfern and all the hard work was undone by a quick break and resultant penalty corner goal. 1 each the result and Wales felt a little robbed though buoyant for day 2.

On day 2 the sun was a telling factor in all the games. A 10am start and the temperature was already 25 degrees on the pitch. Wales were dominant through the whole of the first half against a North `B` team. Possesion was rarely given away and the ball was moved between left and right quickly and effectively. Jones, Herbert, Bull and Addison were faultless and provided all the opportunities needed for Thomas and Dinnie to link up and for Dinnie to score a very well taken close range goal. The second half though was a different affair and Wales gifted the North `B` team with 2 opportunities which they took and it was a final whistle penalty corner that gave Wales and Herbert the chance to secure a draw.

The final game saw legs drained of energy take to the pitch against The West and this was again all Wales for the large chunks of both halves. Wales were undone by a break away goal but responded quickly when Rhys Jones allowed Thomas the chance of a quick ball to Walters who wasted no time in slotting past the keeper. Rhys Jones then grabbed a second and Wales were on the ascendency but then the second half came to plague Wales again and with a smaller squad than The West it became impossible to stop the less tires legs from running through and scoring 2 goals that left the Welsh team feeling a little bemused at losing.

All in all a great weekend of hockey and some really promising play for the future.

Add a comment
* Required